Shepherd’s Pie With Lentils
Shepherd’s Pie flavor without the meat! See how easy this tasty dish can be re-created into a protein-rich plant-based dinner. Mashed Potatoes & lentils are the main ingredients! I’d like to think there’s nothing better than a casserole topped with creamy mashed potatoes. Picture your serving spoon breaking through that crunchy-smooth layer of mashed potato into the lentil-based vegetable mixture inside your casserole. Incredible, right? The flavors blend into a dreamy mixture sure to please the most Irish among us for a meatless meal that’s satisfying, rich, tasty, and oh-so-good!
- 12 Quart Stockpot
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Large Sauce Pan
- 9 x 13 Baking Dish
- 3-5 lbs Red Potatoes (Peeled & Halved)
- ½ cup Almond Milk (May substitute with similar plant based-Based Milk)
- 3 tbsp Earth Balance Spread
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Broth (To Saute’ Garlic & Onions)
- 1 medium Yellow Onion (Diced)
- 1½ tsp Garlic (Minced)
- 1½ cups Lentil (Uncooked, Rinsed Well)
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1½ tsp Dried Thyme
- 10 oz Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- 1 spray Avocado Cooking Spray
- Make your favorite mashed potatoes. Place potatoes in a pot of water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until very soft (15-20 minutes) then drain.
- Place potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Mash with ½ cup plant-based milk, and 3 tablespoons of plant-based butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 425℉. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with Avocado oil spray.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of veggie broth in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic. Saute՛ for 5 minutes.
- Stir in vegetable broth, lentils, and thyme. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 35-40 minutes until lentils are tender. During the last 10 minutes of simmering, add the frozen veggies to the lentil mixture and stir.
- Transfer the lentil mixture to the prepared baking dish and top with mashed potatoes.
- Season with pepper to taste. Bake for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are lightly browned.
- Cool the casserole for 5-10 minutes before serving.
*When adding vegetables you can substitute the frozen vegetables with fresh favorite veggies, or I’ve been known to use ½ bag frozen and a cup of fresh mixed chopped red pepper, peas, and carrots from the garden.
* Mashed potatoes can be substituted with mashed cauliflower or mashed sweet potatoes.